If you have a second mortgage and your first mortgage servicer agrees to participate in FHA Short Refinance, you may be eligible to have your second mortgage on the same home reduced or eliminated through the FHA Second Lien Program (FHA2LP). If your second mortgage servicer agrees to participate, the total amount of your mortgage debt after the refinance cannot exceed 115 percent of your home’s current value.
You may be eligible for FHA2LP if you meet the following criteria:
- You are eligible for FHA Short Refinance.
- You obtained your mortgage on or before January 1, 2009.
- You must not have been convicted within the last 10 years of felony larceny, theft, fraud, forgery, money laundering or tax evasion in connection with a mortgage or real estate transaction.
*Eligibility criteria is for guidance only. Only your mortgage company can qualify you for this solution.
- If the servicer of your first mortgage agrees to an FHA Short Refinance and you have a second mortgage on the same home, the first mortgage servicer will work with the second mortgage servicer to reduce or eliminate the second mortgage.
- More than a dozen mortgage servicers have agreed to review homeowners for FHA2LP when the first mortgage servicer has agreed to a refinance under FHA Short Refinance.
For more information on FHA Short Refinance and FHA2LP, call FHA’s National Servicing Center at (877) 622-8525.
If you have additional questions about getting mortgage help, contact one of our housing experts at 888-995-HOPE (4673). These HUD-approved housing counselors will help you understand your options, design a plan to suit your individual situation, and prepare your application. Research shows that homeowners who work with housing experts like these are more successful and have better long-term outcomes. There is no cost to you for this valuable, around-the-clock service. Help is available in more than 160 languages.
Save Your Home